This is a blog series to learn the Alexa Integration with Sitecore
To start with, As all of you know Voice is the future.
Statistics from Forrester:
Below are some of the Statistics from Forrester(American market research company)
- Digital voice assistants are quickly growing
- 50% of US households will have smart speakers by 2022, accounting for 68% of all smart home devices
- 10% of consumers use digital voice assistants to make a purchase, 60% are interested in doing so
- Digital voice assistants will be the large commerce channel in the next few years
Impact of poor voice design :
- Designing for voice is significantly different than designing for other channels like web, email or print.
- Screens are a great fit for showing customers’ suggestions based on their interest and thereby optimizing conversion rates.
- Voice only allows for responding to the customer questions, so there is much less room to cross-sell or up-sell.
- There is also a significant risk of losing customers if the voice experience is not designed well.
- Research shows voice assistants cause frustration more often than other intelligent devices.
How Alexa helps to overcome the challenges :
- By following Alexa skill design best practices
- By using Alexa Interaction Model
- With the Power of Alexa AI Service
We can overcome the above said challenges.
Below are some of the Alexa Terminologies,
Alexa Skill :
- Alexa is the voice service that powers Echo device
- Skills are used to teach and train Alexa about our application
- Alexa is built in the cloud, so it is always getting smarter
Alexa Skill Type :
Below are the list of different Alexa Skill, This blog series we are only going to target Custom skill,
- Smart Home Skill (pre-built model)
- Flash Briefing Skills (pre-built model)
- Video Skills (pre-built model)
- Music Skills (pre-built model)
- Custom skill (custom interaction model)
Alexa Skill Kit :
- It is a collection of self-service APIs, tools, documentation and code samples
- Which makes working with Alexa significantly easier
- The SDK is available in Node.js, Java and Python
Alexa Skill Interaction Model :
There are 3 main entities in the interaction model:
- Intents – Represent actions that users can do with your skill. These intents represent the core functionality of your skill.
- Utterances – Specify the words and phrases users can say to invoke those intents. You map these utterances to your intents.
- Slots – Slots are basically variables in utterances.
In the next blog on this series, I will explain the Need of Integration with Sitecore, Approaches and How it Works.